It is never a simple case of using skincare products in any order, they are designed to be used in a specific way in order to maximise the benefits to you and your skin. In this article we will discuss the preparatory elements of the skincare regime. These are the products that clean and prepare your skin for the nourishing and restoring products that follow. The preparatory elements are:
They each treat the skin in a different way and are designed to be used in the order shown.
The cleanser is always the first step in any skincare regime although it can now be divided into a 2 step element itself. With the arrival of products such as Dermalogica Precleanse that have been designed for all skin types to help remove debris and sebum before your skin specific cleanser.
Your cleanser will then be able to clean and prepare your skin with ingredients that are tailored specifically to your skin type and if used following a pre-cleanser your cleanser will be even more effective.
Below are a list of skin specific Dermalogica Cleansers:
- Dermalogica Dermal Clay Cleanser for Oily Skin Types
- Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel for Normal, Normal/Dry, Normal/Oily Skin Types
- Dermalogica Essential Cleansing Solution for Dry Skin Types
- Dermalogica UltraCalming Cleanser for Sensitive Skin Types
Exfoliants are used in order to remove the dead skin that is always the top most layer. The purpose behind using an exfoliant is really two fold.
Firstly an exfoliant will help remove dead skin that can cause blocked pores leading to breakout outs or can leave your skin looking dull. they will help to reveal the newer and brighter skin beneath as well as encouraging skin cell renewal.
Secondly through the action they provide they allow the products that follow – the nourishing and reparative products – to penetrate deeper and provide greater benefits.
Below are a list of skin specific Dermalogica Exfoliants:
- Dermalogica Skin Prep Scrub for Oily Skin Types
- Dermalogica Gentle Cream Exfoliant for Dry Skin Types
- Dermalogica Multivitamin Thermafoliant for Prematurely Ageing Skin Types
- Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant for All Skin Types including Sensitive Skin
We will cover masques on their own in the next article and then follow with the nourishing elements of a Great Skincare Regime.